Dr Michael Bellemore
Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr Michael Bellemore is a senior orthopaedic surgeon at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead. He studied Medicine at the University of New South Wales graduating in 1977. He trained to be an orthopaedic surgeon in Sydney. Early in his career he was inspired to pursue a career in paediatric orthopaedic surgery. To achieve this goal he spent 2 years overseas undertaking further training. In 1985 Dr Bellemore was privileged to work with Professor Robert Salter at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada. He developed expertise in the treatment of many paediatric musculo-skeletal disorders, especially developmental dysplasia of the hip. In 1986 he worked at the Hospital for Sick Children in Bristol, UK. Whilst in Bristol he learnt further techniques including hip ultrasonography which he introduced as a screening tool for babies when he returned to Sydney in 1987. Since then he has personally performed over 10,000 hip ultrasound scans on infants.
He has been a specialist orthopaedic surgeon on the staff of The Children’s Hospital from 1987 till the present time. For many years he was Head of The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Hospital. He also works at Westmead Private Hospital.
Dr Bellemore is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a foundation member of the Australian Paediatric Orthopaedic Society. His leadership in paediatric orthopaedic surgery was highlighted when he served as President of the Society 2011-14.
Dr Bellemore has established his private practice in close proximity to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead. He is the only orthopaedic surgeon in private practice in New South Wales specialising totally in paediatric orthopaedics. He enjoys working with children and their families. Treating children with hip dysplasia has been a major part of Dr Bellemore’s practice for more than 30 years. He runs a private practice Hip Dysplasia Clinic which provides clinical screening, onsite ultrasonography performed by himself, brace fitting and long term care of children with hip dysplasia with the support of a Clinical Nurse Consultant. Other major clinical interests include fracture management, deformity correction, osteogenesis imperfecta, metabolic bone disease and clubfeet. He was the first orthopaedic surgeon in Australia to use the Ponseti method to treat clubfeet.
Dr Bellemore enjoys teaching. He is an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor at The University of Notre Dame and a Senior Clinical Lecturer at The University of Sydney. He has been teaching medical students and trainee orthopaedic surgeons for more than 25 years. His other teaching roles include the Diploma of Child Health Program, GP seminars and lecturing at national and international conferences. His curriculum vitae records his many publications in peer reviewed journals.
Dr Bellemore finds working with children and their parents a very rewarding experience. With many children he has been involved in their care from infancy up till adulthood. Now, in some cases he is treating the children of the children he treated early in his career.
Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon
A specialist in the management of musculoskeletal disorders in children.
- Clinical Adjunct Associate Professor
Notre Dame University Sydney
- Senior Clinical Lecturer
University of Sydney
I have been in practice as a specialist paediatric orthopaedic surgeon since 1985. My special interests include the diagnosis and treatment of hip dysplasia, correction of lower limb pain and deformity and fracture care.
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
- University of NSW 1976
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 1984
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association 1988
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Paediatric Orthopaedic Society
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Australian Society for Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction
- Australian Medical Association
Current Hospital Appointments
- The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Westmead Private Hospital
- Strathfield Private Hospital
Visiting Orthopaedic surgeon at
My areas of special interest in paediatric orthopaedic surgery include:
- Hip Dysplasia in infants and children
- Perthes Disease of the Hip
- Hip Slipped Epiphysis
- Knee pain and instability
- Knee arthroscopy
- Minimally invasive guided growth surgery
- Lower limb deformity correction
- Clubfoot – Ponseti method of treatment
- Foot pain and deformity
- Children’s sports injuries
- Adolescent scoliosis
- Adolescent chest deformities
- In toeing, knock knees, bow legs and flat feet
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Brittle bone disease)
- Bone and joint infections
- Fracture management
- Inaugural President Australian Orthopaedic Registrars Association 1984
- Head of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney 2003-2010
- President of the Australian Paediatric Orthopaedic Society 2011-14
- I have specialised in children’s orthopaedics since 1985 because I find caring for children with musculoskeletal disorders and chronic disabilities a wonderful and rewarding experience.
- I pioneered the use of Ultrasound Scans in Australia to diagnose and treat infants with hip dysplasia.
- I was the first orthopaedic surgeon in Australia to use the Ponseti method to treat children with clubfoot.
- I also pioneered the Ilizarov technique of limb lengthening and deformity correction in Australia.
- I have lectured widely in Australia and overseas. I am actively involved in orthopaedic teaching and research. I enjoy my work and I am privileged to work with many outstanding colleagues.
- Carpentry and wood turning